Southwestern chicken and Barley Soup
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
In a Dutch oven, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the water, corn, beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, broth, barley, chilies, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer after 45 minutes.
Stir in chicken; cook, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until chicken is heated through and barley is tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 187 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 582 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 15 g protein.