First Fever

Yesterday Ethan took two 2 hour naps. This was wonderful, but also out of the ordinary for him. After his second nap I noticed he felt hot so I took his temperature. It was 99.8, nothing too bad, so I figured maybe he was teething or something. We went to dinner at Danny and JOlene's and he was definitely not his normal happy self, I could tell he wasn't feeling well. He went to bed fine but woke up around 12:30 am. He was burning hot and clearly not feeling well. I gave him more Tylonol and he went back to sleep for a little bit. He woke up again at 2:00 and so I nursed him and he went back down for a little bit. Around 3:00 he woke up an just would not stop crying. I took his temperature and it was 101.2... high, but not horrible. The poor guy. I just couldn't console him and make him feel better. He just screamed and screamed. Matt got up to help me and we took off his jammies to try to cool him down. Matt just held him under the fan and tickled his back and he finally calmed down and then went back to sleep at 4:30. Matt and I went back to bed and tried to sleep for a little bit until Ethan woke back up at 7:00. Ethan is never inconsolable, so we knew he definitely wasn't feeling well.

I tried not to worry and panic, but you know... first time mom.... his first fever.... it's hard not to. I called our Dr. and got ahold of the Dr. that was on call at 4:30 am. He sounded like he was still asleep and really wasn't much help. I'm going to call our doctor again in a little bit as soon as the office is open. Ethan was up from 7:00-7:45 and then went back down and is still asleep (it's 9:00). He just wanted to be held and I could tell he still is not feeling well at all. To top it all off the neighbor is playing his drum set right now in his garage which is next to Ethan's room... lovely.

I know babies and kids get sick, and I knew this would come at some point (the first fever). I just feel so bad for him. The real bummer part is that we're supposed to leave tonight at 7:00 to drive to Colorado where we will be visiting family. So now we were already up all night and we're going to stay up all night again to drive. My brother is going with us so him and Matt can take turns driving. This definitely dampens things. I'm just hoping and praying that Ethan takes a turn for the better today, is able to sleep in his car seat while we drive tonight, and that by tomorrow he is well. I'm kind of anxious right now as I still need to pack, take Cookie over to Matt's brother's house and get other odds and ends together for our trip, and all the while take care of my sick baby. I'll keep you posted!


krista said…
ahhhh! i hope poor ethan starts feeling better SOON! ask your dr about motrin, if you can't get his fever down, alternating tylenol & motrin is supposed to help. not that i am the professional- thankfully i haven't had to deal with that yet but i am sure my day is coming too :( hang in there and i hope you can get everything done and have an enjoyable trip!
Jill said…
i'll be praying that ethan feels better and that all the trip odds and ends fall into place!
Patty said…
Poor Ethan! Hope he feels better soon.
So jealous that you are vacationing in Colorado! Hope all the prep goes smoothly and you have a great time and a healthy baby!
Amy said…
Poor Ethan...I hope he feels better soon. Hope you guys have a good vacation.
Crystal said…
I'll be praying for the little guy :(.

Popular posts from this blog

My silly girl...

Meet Old Blue

Visit to Healdsburg