Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Terrible Two's are upon us....

To start off a few random things:

-Ethan's fever went away after Monday and we're thinking that whole terrible day was just from teething. With the screaming he was doing and that fever, I was sure he was sick, but that doesn't' seem to be the case. One of his canine teeth is just about to pop through the gum, and has been that way for about a week. I think he was even extra crabby from lack of sleep. It's just odd because he's never been near this bad when he's been teething, however these ones seem to be bothering him A LOT. I went and stocked up on teething tablets and teething gel. Hopefully those stupid teeth pop through soon... they are taking forever!

-Tuesday we went out to the Living Desert with Jolene and Christian. I have pictures I'll post later, I'm too lazy to get my camera out. It was pretty hot, so we stayed for about 2 hours and the boys had fun looking at the different animals. Neither of us had ever been, so we had no idea what to expect.

-Last night I FINALLY got a decent night of sleep. I had been having issues the last few nights due to anxiety and Ethan waking up. Monday I got 2 hours of sleep and Tuesday I only got 4. I was running on empty. I am so so so thankful that I got a good full night of sleep last night and I'm feeling much better.

-All of the sudden this week the terrible two's are upon us. I thought Ethan could throw tantrums before but I had no idea what was to come. Everything sets him off these days. Yesterday afternoon he spent about 2 hours total throwing tantrums, and that was just the afternoon! It's really quite crazy. I find that I'm getting kind of used to it, and as long as I keep my cool I am fine. Because I document everything, and I'm all about keepin' it real I made a little video of 2 of his tantrums :) I figure you gotta be able to show them how crazy they were when they get bigger :) haha



So I'm curious, what do you all do when your kids have tantrums? I'm learning and trying different things, but this is all new to me!


11 comments:

krista said...

i am laughing, but only because that is my life exactly right now. madyson could definitely compete with ethan in her tantrum throwing. it's amazing. it's a hard age. they know what they want but the verbal communication isn't developed enough to work it out, so the screaming and tantrum throwing exists. not fun. sometimes i can distract madyson and she gets over it. i give her juice or a snack or we find a toy to play with. othertimes (holland festival) there is no distracting or stopping it. it just hits full force and goes on and on. if we are home, sometimes i will put her in her room and close the door. she does get over it and then we have a chat and she comes out and gives hugs. hang in there. we are definitely in the same season of life with these lil ones right now.

Charlee said...

Be thankfull you are dealing with them now not when he is 4!

Ok in all seriousness sleep is a big factor in tantrums the tiereder the kid the bigger the fit so sleep is important! Some of the other thigs are distractions no you cant do a but we can do b instead. Some times you just have to sit him down in a quiet room or corner and let him go until he is done because he is too mad and you are too and its better to leave him alone then to react in anger. I have left the store several times with a cart full because of a tantrum its better to get him removed then to try and deal with it in public because everyone has an opinion!
Some of the books I like are Dr Sears the discipline book, happiest toddler on the block, saying no to your toddler, super nanny(sounds silly but she is good still use that book today) I had some others I got Saleah but I can't find them they had a Christian perspective on it. Good luck I know the toddler years are hard!

Lisa Haveman said...

yes, I understand what you're going through.. our two kids have gone through this as well. When they begin throwing a fit we try to calm them down and talk to them before it escalates. Then, they learn that throwing a fit is absolutely NOT acceptable. Tys gets put in his crib with the door closed (no blankie)until he calms down and I can talk to him. Anything that is an outright defiance results in discipline. I can understand that Ethan screaming for 20-30 minutes at a time is VERY draining on you so, you can train him to know that you will not accept his screaming and that he needs to obey you cheerfully. If not, there will be consequences (whatever you and Matt decide that to be) This may sound harsh but, you can do it lovingly and he will obey you... which results in a happy, obedient home :) It is hard but, also rewarding!!

Heather Hekman said...

Wow. I showed Ethan's video to Jenelle. I asked her if he looked cute while he did that and asked her if she thinks she looks cute when she pouts. Trying to teach/mold them is a constant job. Yeah for your mom who is supporting you.

Troy, Sarah and Lucy Sherman said...

We are barely coming into this stage. Right now if she doesnt get something she wants or she is playing with the wrong thing (cleaning products) she cries and falls flat on the floor and kicks her legs. I just distract her with food like Krista, or telling her to go get me her "baby". Getting them to go on to something else ( distraction) is what has helped me so far. BUT I think I will be in for it in a matter of weeks if you and Krista both say it is happening. Let us all know if you find something. You are VERY patient !

Brigitte said...

Oh yes, the two's. Funny thing is we forgot Sofie has to go through this as well. Seems with the second child you keep thinking that they will not act like the first. Where did we get that notion. I absolutely love loveandlogic.com my neighbor introduced me to their materials and they have some great methods for working with child and tantrums. Hope you find it interesting. But I think you are doing great and seem to be very calm. He is cute in the video and I am sure someday will love that you have all this footage :)

Kelly said...

While those were funny to watch as a fellow mom, I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, especially of you were sleep deprived! I do hope that gets better. There is nothing that hurts your day more than a bad night's sleep.

Rhonda said...

Yes - this is pretty daily at our house too. LOVE the video. I love how the tantrums often end up in the kitchen.
Glad to hear you got some sleep. It is sooooo hard to deal with toddler stuff when you're too tired to even deal with the good things.

Christy said...

Well friend, we deal with them by first trying to talk to the girls and let them know that throwing a fit will get them nothing and then when that doesnt work we walk them to their rooms and tell them they can be mad and throw all the fit they want and when they are done they can come re join the family. Works most the time. ;)

Crystal said...

Okay is it bad that I laughed? This is good preparation :).

Bro said...

Don't worry...I was laughing to Crystal! E cracks me up! Good luck with all that stuff! If I were around, I'd come over and play with him more often to help you out :)