6 weeks

Yesterday Alayna was six weeks old... crazy! I wouldn't call her an easy baby, but she's not super hard either. She can get super fussy and have a hard time settling down when she wants to go to sleep. Once we actually put her to sleep and she's been sleeping a while, she's fine. She's usually happy when she wakes up and after she eats, and then gets difficult again once she's tired. She still does not like to be put down much. She cries after a few minutes. I can get her to be happy for short little times in the bouncy seat and the swing, depending on her mood. She still won't lay down on her own at night. I've tried... but as soon as I put her down she cries. Thankfully she has been sleeping great on me :) There was one night this week she (and I) slept for 5 hours. That felt wonderful!

She started smiling but I've yet to capture it on camera. I tried and tried yesterday but couldn't get one. She's also been "cooing" more... which is very sweet.

Here are some pictures I took of Alayna yesterday....






This past week has been pretty hard. Ethan is REALLY testing me right now and has been very difficult. It's like the past two weeks he's totally regressed and has just been so very hard. I feel like I could constantly be punishing him. It's hard when he is doing something naughty, or throwing a fit, and Alayna is also screaming because she wants to be held. I feel torn in two opposite directions. Who do I take care of? I've felt guilty lately because I just can't give Ethan the attention he seems to want, but at the same time I feel like it's good for him not to get ALL of my attention ALL day.

Today when I picked up Ethan from the nursery after Tmoms they told me he had been pushing a lot, and so he had to have a time out. After the time out he continued to push the other kids. To top it off he was crying when I picked him up. Then him and Alayna cried the entire way home. By the time we got home I was in tears myself. I felt like a looser mom because this is the second week in a row Ethan has been a bully in the nursery. Of course we don't let him get away with pushing, but I guess I haven't been super consistent lately in punishing him when he does, as I usually have my hands occupied with Alayna.

Do any of you moms have advise in how to deal with pushing/being mean to other kids? I feel like it's hard right now because there isn't a lot I can do other than spank or give time outs... both of which we do with Ethan.

All this to say that being a mom of two little ones is hard. I tell myself every day it will get easier. We DO have lots of great moments, it's not all difficult... but it has been pretty rough lately. Really the only reason I write all this is so that I can look back and remember... as I don't remember much lately being so sleep deprived. Plus, I don't want you to think my life is all rosy and perfect ;)

Comments

Nikki said…
I can't believe she is 6 weeks old!!! And to make you feel better Aidan has been pushing alot lately and throwing tantrums too.. I am really hoping it is the age.. We to spank and do timeouts.. This is just a tough age cause they are seeing how far they can go..... If you ever need somewhere for Ethan to just play bring him on over. You are a great mom!
krista said…
I am so with you on having a hard week. I was just telling Joanna last night how I am constantly disciplining Madyson and the fits are just never ending right now. I am tired and nauseous and over the fits that occur all day long. I have no other advice...just keep being consistent with whatever you choose to do...and it will pass. I know they are almost two but sheeeesh!
Tonda said…
Just remember if you have to sit Alayna down for a minute to punish ethan and she crys, She will quickly forget about it when you pick her up but if Ethan is left crying hes not going to quickly forget like a little baby would
Christy said…
my advice next tim eyou have a day like that? You call me from your cell, drive over here and let me hold the babe while you drink tea and my girls distract and wear Ethan out. ;) Also, just be SUPER consistant. It is so hard and exhausting but Ryanne is a great example of a strong willed kid who FINALLY got the message. :)
Genn said…
NObody's life is all rosy and perfect, but it's nice to know that you are a mom that admits that. It seems that there are a lot who don't.

Anyway, sorry it's been a rough week. I have had many of those and still am having them. Today has not been easy as a matter of fact. I think that it just takes time for the older sibling to get used to mommy's attention no longer being completely theirs. Sounds like you are doing a great job though.

The hitting/pushing is hard with kids. Toddlers are just so darn hard to reason with. I think time outs really do work, you just have to stay on top of it. I read somewhere that if you are yelling, you've already missed a good opportunity for timeout. (I miss them a lot) :)
Charlee said…
Its hard to choose which kid to tend to but for me I found that if I put the baby down and then tend to the older one first with no baby in my hands he took it better. At the age of pusing and shoving are common its the lack of language that makes it hard. When he gets mad and you see it give him the words for it and see if talking to him helps to calm him down. Time outs when used consistently do work I have proof of that with Breven.
Kelly said…
I'm so sorry it was a rough week. It's hard when you aren't able to enjoy something like Tmoms because you are worried about how he is doing in nursery. I feel guilt ALL the time over not being able to pay enough attention to Cam or Kendall because I have to tend to the other. I try and tell myself that EVERY mom with more than one child feels the exact same way and I'm not alone. Plus, you and your brother probably made your mom feel guilt too...and you don't remember feeling "neglected". :) But I know, it's a tough stage right now...
Crystal said…
Just remember you're an awesome mom and this isn't a reflection of where you lack. I totally look up to you and the kind of mom and wife you are to your family :).
Crystal said…
Oh and I LOVE the depth of field pic with Alayna's hand. Very sweet.
Rhonda said…
I'm praying for you - for better rest so you have the strength to deal with this consistently, for divine insight into Ethan's little head, for Alayna to give you some moments without holding her.
There's already lots of good advise here.
One thing that helped us was to include the older sibling in some of the things that you have to do with baby that make him feel jealous. I'm sure this is not just age, but also adjusting to having a baby sister in the house. And not being able to communicate his emotions very well. I'll also pray that you don't turn totally gray before you get through it - hehe!

You are an awsome mom!
Don't forget that.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Old Blue

Trip to Healdsburg

bath paints, a sick boy and the yard