Monday, May 24, 2010

My favorite pork tenderloin recipe

***Edit: I added a comment from my hubby to the bottom of this post :)

I haven't posted a recipe in a while so I thought I'd post what we had tonight.  It's my favorite pork tenderloin recipe and super easy to make.  I pick up pork tenderloins at Costco and keep them in the freezer.  They are such a tasty, lean meat, but they HAVE GOT to be cooked right.

The key to a good pork tenderloin (or any meat for that matter) is using a meat thermometer.  I cannot stress the importance of this.  Without a meat thermometer meat will often come out overcooked, because we tend to overestimate the cooking time.  With a meat thermometer your meat will come out PERFECT, juicy, flavorful and moist every time.

Hoisin and Honey pork Tenderloin


Ingredients:
cooking spray
1 pound pork tenderloin
salt and pepper

sacuce
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons minced garlic
3 green onions, chopped

Preheat oven to 375.
Spray a large, oven-proof skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium high.  When the pan is hot, add the meat (it should sizzle) and sera the bottom side.  Season the top with salt and pepper, then turn the meat to sear the other side and season the new top side.  Move the skillet to the oven for about 25 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the center reads 150F, or the color is just barely past pink.


While the meat cooks, mix the sauce ingredients in a small pan and bring to a boil.  Let it cook down just slightly, then keep warm on low heat.

Slice the meat and transfer to plates.  Drizzle with hot hoisin-honey sauce and sprinkle with green onion.  Serve immediately.



Nutrition information
195 calories per serving
4g fat
1 g fiber
1233 mg sodium
Weight Watchers 4 points.

Tonight I served mine with roasted potatoes and a yummy spinach salad with strawberries, Gorgonzola cheese and candied walnuts.

 

My hubby posted this hot tip in the comment section, but I thought I'd include it in the post:

Hot Tip from the kitchen assistant that prepared the meat featured here:
When the meat gets to 135-140F take it out of the oven, place it on a plate and loosely cover with foil.
It will keep cooking on the plate and reach 150-152F within about 5-8 minutes.
Wait until the temperature has peaked and just starts coming back down (about 8-10 min) before slicing to achieve maximum juiciness.
If you are going out today to buy pork tenderloin and a meat thermometer to try this, do yourself a huge favor and buy the kind of meat thermometer that with the probe on a cord and an alarm that can be set to any temperature desired so that you don't loose track of the meat temp while you prepare the sauce, or enjoy a glass of wine, or chase after a 2 year old who thinks its funny to ride is tricycle way too close to his little sister's little feet.

5 comments:

Crystal Keilers said...

You are so giving Pioneer Woman a run for her money.

Kelly said...

I should try this because Chris loves pork and I ALWAYS think it's dry. :) BTW, your pictures look quite Pioneer Womanish!!

Genn said...

Umm, hello! That looks DE-licous! Thanks for sharing. I do not own a meat thermometer, and I love pork, but cooking it has always intimadated me. Maybe that is because I don't have a thermometer!

I wish I was at your house for dinner. :)

PS- Thanks for your super nice comment you left me. I think the same thing about you.

Matt said...

Hot Tip from the kitchen assistant that prepared the meat featured here:
When the meat gets to 135-140F take it out of the oven, place it on a plate and loosely cover with foil.
It will keep cooking on the plate and reach 150-152F within about 5-8 minutes.
Wait until the temperature has peaked and just starts coming back down (about 8-10 min) before slicing to achieve maximum juiciness.
If you are going out today to buy pork tenderloin and a meat thermometer to try this, do yourself a huge favor and buy the kind of meat thermometer that with the probe on a cord and an alarm that can be set to any temperature desired so that you don't loose track of the meat temp while you prepare the sauce, or enjoy a glass of wine, or chase after a 2 year old who thinks its funny to ride is tricycle way too close to his little sister's little feet.

Charlee said...

Looks good I owuld be serving it with brown rice and brocoli for my 2 monsters who love rice and brocoli. Brad may even eat this and he is not an asian food fan!