Thursday, September 2, 2010

All about Ethan

Ethan,
My blue eyed, tow headed, crazy boy.
You are 3 months away from turning three, and I felt the need to record some of your recent doings, lest I soon forget.




You are quite the character and your vocabulary amazes me.  You are so very articulate. You express yourself quite well.  Some of my favorite sayings of yours lately are:
-"I think so" You say this instead of yes quite often.
-"Maybe and Probably"  You say these things instead of yes quite often as well.
-"I know you do" You say this in response to questions such as "Would you like me to read you a story?"
-The other day you told your father: "What's the matter big guy?"  haha... that one made me laugh big time.
-When you are upset you tell people "I want you to get away from me or I don't like you".  That one's not so nice, and we're working on it.
-When your father gets home from work you tell him: "Dad, did you get me some money for my piggy bank?"
-When your father gets home after work in the evenings, you see him and ask "Dad, are you home?" even though he's right there.
-When you make us giggle you let out a big belly laugh and then say "I made you laugh didn't I?".  hehe, yes Ethan... you constantly make us laugh.
-After the lightest of spankings, spoken very dramatically: "OWE MOM!  That REALLY hurt me!"  And then at other times, after a pretty hefty spanking you will look at me and tell me very defiantly:  "That didn't hurt mom".  Ohhhh Ethan.



You are the child of 1,000 excuses.  We ask you to do something and you almost always give us some odd excuse as to why you can't.  For example we might ask "Ethan, can you please put your cars away".  You will reply "No mom, I can't because have an owie on my toe" or "No mom, I can't because my cars are way over there".  It's seriously ALWAYS something.



You are very needy and high maintenance. You have been needy and high maintenance since you were born, and I have a feeling you always will have these tendencies.  You can be clingy and shy and super needy to me when we go out in public.  You rarely just join a crowd and hop in and have fun.  Even when we are home you insist that I hold you or you need me or you want me for some reason.  I try to tell myself that I'll appreciate this someday when you are a big man and you still want to be with me :)  I try to just enjoy the moments that I get to snuggle with you... even if you insist that be while I'm cooking dinner, or trying to clean, or eat my own food.



You can also be fiercely independent at times. It's amazing how you can persistently insist I do something easy for you, like cover you with a blanket, adjust your pillow, set your milk on the table, etc; and yet at other times you just as persistently insist that you do something by yourself.  You are quite a contradiction :)  People tell me teenage girls are emotional and irrational, but I'm pretty sure they've never met you :)




The intensity of your tantrums is crazy.  Sometimes I just have to laugh, otherwise I might cry right along with you.  You just have so much emotion that you need to get out, and you do that by screaming, yelling or being unkind, which is not acceptable.  During those times we simply send you to your bedroom and tell you that you can get your emotions out in there, and then when you are ready to be nice to us, you can come out.  Sometimes you stay in there for 30 minutes yelling and screaming and crying.  Other times you are only in there for a few minutes before you regain your composure and come out and tell us "Okay Mommy, I'm ready to talk nice now" in a sugary sweet voice.




You are quite mischievous.  Seriously, you are always into something.  If it is quiet you are must likely doing something like stealing the change out of your dad's change drawer, climbing up on the counter to sneak candy, pushing buttons on the washing machine, tearing apart a book, coloring on your carpet, breaking something, turning the hose on and spraying everything, climbing onto something or doing a large variety of simply "naughty" activities.  The other day I came into the bathroom and you had used a whole container of hand soap and your toothbrush to "clean" my sink.  I appreciated the thought, however the execution wasn't quite right :)



You are fully potty trained.  You are always dry during your nap and you most often wake up dry in the morning (but we still put a diaper on you during the night for now).  Speaking of the potty, one of my not so favorite things is when we are out in public and you shout out commentary while I'm using the restroom.  Things like "wow mom, that's a lot of pee!" or other embarrassing things that I'd rather not have everyone else in the bathroom know :)

You adore your grandparents.  You and Grammy are "best friends". She calls you every morning and you make sure to tell her (and try to show her through the phone) whatever is going on at the moment.  You love going on dates with her and playing with her.  The other day you were pretending to be your Papa... walking around pretending to hand out candy hearts to everyone like he does, it was pretty cute.

You love to know how things work.  Your little mind constantly churns and churns.  I think your mind works very much like your engineer Daddy's... because your mom couldn't care less about how things work :)  I can't wait to see what that little mind of yours ends up doing as you grow up. 




You have a love/hate relationship with your sister (as I think most siblings do).  I love the times that you play nicely with her and talk to her in your sweet voice.  You look out for her and make sure to tell me if she's doing something dangerous, like eating rocks or plants, climbing something, or into something she shouldn't be.  Other times you get very upset because she invades your space and tries to "play" with you or take what you have.  You often react out of anger and yell at her, push her, hit her, kick her, or scream at her to "GET AWAY FROM ME 'LAYNA!"  We try to encourage the former behavior, and you always get punished for the latter.





This video is so totally "you" right now... I just love the way you talk.  You are wearing your "big red super jammies" as you refer to them, hehe.

Ethan coloring from Jessica Hekman on Vimeo.


Oh my son,
You challenge me in ways I never expected.
I'm constantly learning how to parent you.
You constantly test my patience.
You make me laugh and giggle all the time.
Our conversations are precious.
I pray constantly that no matter what, you will love the Lord.
I adore our snuggles.
And most importantly, I adore YOU my little man!


Love,
Your Mama

7 comments:

Sarah Sherman said...

oh my gosh lucy and ethan could be CLONES!!! they are EXACTLY the same!

Noreen said...

So sweet! You will really appreciate the time you put into this blog in 10 or 20 years. You're such a good mommy!

Charlee said...

How adorable!

With that engineers brain watch out because when he gets to about 3.5 or 4 he will start taking toys apart to see how they work and its soooooo frustrating!

Rhonda said...

Oh my goodness. I just LOVE that video Jessica. He is so cute!

Crystal Keilers said...

That is the cutest post! I read the whole thing and I love all of those little details =). And yes, his little voice is so precious right now.

Nikki said...

Love how the pictures capture so many emotions!

Christy said...

Oh Jess I dont think I have ever related to you more than when you said you are always learning new ways to parent Ethan. That is my relationship with Ryanne. Never have I laughed or cried so much. I have never been stretched so far as I am with her. So crazy that if we stop and think they may be allot like us huh? ;)