Friday, October 15, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup

My in laws grew butternut squash in their garden this year after my niece Emily sent down some seeds.  They ended up having a delicious crop of squash.  I saved the seeds from one of them so that I too can grow butternut squash in my garden next year.

I decided to use the squash I had in my fridge to make butternut squash soup this week.  Oh my was it ever delicious.  I'm totally making it again.  I thought I'd share the recipe for you all since it's such a yummy autumn food.  The best part is that I came up with the recipe myself after looking at several online :)

Butternut Squash Soup









Ingredients
-1 (2 to 3 pound) butternut squash, peeled and seeded
-2 tablespoons butter
-1 medium onion, chopped
-1 medium tart apple, (such as granny smith) chopped
-2 chopped carrots
-4 cups chicken stock
- dash of nutmeg
-dash of cinnamon
-salt and freshly ground black pepper
-1/4-1/2 cup half and half (or cream if you want to be really naughty)

Directions
Cut squash into 1-inch chunks.  In large pot melt butter.  Add onion and cook until translucent, about 8 minutes.  Add squash, carrots, apples and stock.  Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, about 15-20 minutes.  Use an immersion blender (or a regular blender if you don't have one) and puree the soup to desired consistency.  Stir and season with nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper.  Stir in desired amount of cream or half and half.  Serve warm.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Patty said...

So yummy! We had this tonight and the boys were practically licking their bowls to get every last drop. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Jess. Its a keeper!

Crystal Keilers said...

Can't wait to make this. I've missed your recipe posts.