Reflections from 2010


When a year comes to an end, I like to reflect back upon it.  2010 was quite the year of contrast for me.  It started out as one of the hardest of my life, and ended as one of the greatest.  Most years are not like that for me.
When the year began I was still not sleeping, had a baby that didn’t sleep, was in the midst of post partum depression, and pretty much felt all around crummy.  Thanks to the help of some drugs and sleep training for the baby, I finally started getting some sleep and feeling better.  It was nice to feel like myself again after feeling so icky for so many months.
I started learning how to use my camera and shoot in manual, and found that I really enjoyed photography even more than I realized.  This led me to starting my business, JessHekman Photography.  I imagined it would slowly grow throughout the rest of the year, and was very pleasantly surprised to have it take off rather quickly.  I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.
I found that I loved having something outside of being a mom.  I stopped teaching when I had Ethan and haven’t done anything outside of the home since.  I’ve loved having something that I can call my own. I enjoy being able to pour my creative energy into it, and provide a bit of extra income.  I love working with people and being able to capture something for them that they can treasure forever. I love that I can still be at home with my kids and work my photography business around them.  I would even venture to say I love photography more than anything else I’ve done.
This year I found a new appreciation for vintage items and antiques. I found that I love going to yard sales and thrift stores and "hunting" for fun and unique items that I can re purpose.  I've refinished furniture, painted, upholstered (just a little), and had fun decorating my home with things that are unique.


Mid way through the year we sold our first home and found our “forever house”.  While it was a lot of work, we are so very happy here and extremely grateful to be in a home we enjoy so much.  What an amazing blessing that we did not foresee when the year began.  In the few months that we've been here we've already created so many memories.  We love to entertain and are enjoying having a space that makes this very easy.
Two months ago I was able to stop taking one of the medications that I had been taking for a year.  This was a big step for me and I finally feel mostly “normal” again.  I remember feeling like I would never be out of that dark place and able to just be “me” again.  I am extremely grateful to finally be there .
I guess this past year is really a great example to God’s faithfulness, as is every year really.  This year just felt like a year of healing for me.  I’m excited for what 2011 will bring, and so very happy to be on a mountaintop instead of a valley as it begins.  I know life goes in cycles, and valleys are a part of it.  I guess the mountaintop just seems all that much sweeter when you’ve come out of a valley.
I don't make resolutions, and I don't really even have any goals for this new year other than to live each day to the fullest and enjoy life. There's lots of things I'd like to accomplish, but right now I'm okay just taking things one day at a time :)

I wish you all a blessed new year, weather you are in a valley or on a mountaintop right now.  May you be able to find the joy in the everyday.

Comments

Heather Hekman said…
So glad for what God has done and continues to do in your life. I am grateful for your new business. God sure has given you a great talent.
Crystal said…
I didn't know that you had stopped that medication (I think I know which one you're talking about), that is awesome. I am so happy that you feel back to life again, SO happy for you. Now only if I were there to party with you!

And it encourages me to hear about your photography business. I know that I will want to do something outside of the home eventually too, after getting the hang of being a mama ;). I know it has to be something artistic.

I miss and love you so much. xoxo

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Old Blue

Trip to Healdsburg

bath paints, a sick boy and the yard