Monday, March 28, 2011

The evolution of my garden

When we purchased this house I was excited about the two raised garden beds that were in the backyard.  We have so much to do yet to our backyard, but getting my garden planted took top priority this week.  I LOVE having a garden where I can just go out and pick herbs and veggies and bring them inside to eat.

The beds were filled with weeds and junk, so we first had to clean them out.  I did this last Saturday while Matt pruned a couple of the trees that are in this part of the yard (the cherry and apricot trees).  The weeds were THICK.  I also came across no less than three pincher bug nests which totally grossed me out.  I'm kind of embarrassed to show you the before picture because this back part of our yard is quite junky.  We still have stuff back here that we threw out during our kitchen remodel.  We are slowly getting it cleaned up.



 Here is the garden area up close....




This weekend Matt and I each tilled a bed and then worked in three bags of manure to each bed.  I then happily planted the plants we picked up at Home Depot just that morning.


Oh, and in case you're wondering why the wood is pink...
it's pink because....
I might have accidentally decided to spray paint frames for Alanay's room one day and not thought about the fact that my garden would be pink...
**oops**


Here are the beds planted with veggies...
hopefully they will grow big and fill our tummies :)

I planted 5 different varieties of tomato, butternut squash seeds, 2 types of cucumber, green bell peppers, red bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, crookneck squash... and several different herbs.

I absolutely LOVE having fresh herbs on hand, I use them all the time when I cook.  I planted basil, oregano, thyme, parsley, dill...

... and mint.
The mint got relegated to a pot because mint can go crazy and take over your garden.
Want to know my favorite thing to do with mint?
We like to infuse it in vodka...
it's declious.


I'm also really excited about this pretty little tomato...
I love heirloom tomatoes.

Oh, we planted this meyer lemon in the front.
I LOVE meyer lemons.
They have thin skin and are a bit sweeter than a normal lemon..
so much more flavorful.



Are you curious what our kids do while we are busy working in the yard???
They run around like maniacs and get filthy :)



I can't wait to watch my little garden grow :)

Photobucket

5 comments:

Charlee said...

though the meyer takes a little time to give a lot of fruit this year is the first year we had more then 10 lemons and it was great! We are making raised planter beds for our house as well this year! Nice work!

krista said...

It looks so great!!! How fun. Love the pink wood :) That last picture of Alayna is pretty cute too!

Anonymous said...

Looks great. I'm looking forward to helping you enjoy your harvest. :-) Mom

Rhonda said...

My kids LOVE it when we work outside. I wish I had room for a garden in my backyard. I think we're going to need to build some garden boxes and make room.

Christy said...

Good job guys. It is really coming along. We have mint on our back patio as well. We love to snip it after we brew some green tea. We also have strawberries dying to grow.