Sunday, March 20, 2011

Pantry Meals

Do you have "pantry" meals that you keep on hand?
You know what I'm talking about, meals that you can throw together with ingredients out of the pantry or freezer... for those nights you didn't have anything planned or didn't make it to the store.

Some of my favorite pantry meals are:

*Chicken currey
I use a frozen chicken breast, frozen chopped veggies (that I buy from Traders) and a jar of green curry sauce.  Sometimes I make the curry sauce from scratch, which is easy (the recipe is on the back of the curry paste jar).  Then all I have to do is steam some Jasmine rice in my rice maker.  It's a very easy  meal to throw together and I always have the ingredients on hand.

*Homeade spagetti.  
All I need for this is two cans of tomato sauce, an onion, garlic, some seasoning and dry noodles.  I sometimes add meat to the sauce if I have some ground turkey or something on hand.  I usually throw together a veggie or salad to serve on the side.


*Stir Fry
I chop up a chicken breast and saute it, then add frozen veggies and top it all with a bottle of stir fry sauce I usually keep on hand from Traders.  I steam rice in my rice cooker and serve it all together.

*Fish with herb butter
I always have frozen fish on hand.  When I need an easy meal I thaw it, saute it (Make sure you don't overcook fish, you really hardly have to cook it for long.  Overcooked fish is tough and gross) and then top it with herb butter.  All I do to make herb butter is chop up whatever fresh herbs I happen to have, or use dried herbs and salt and pepper.  This week I used dried dill, a squeeze of lime juice and salt and pepper, it was yummy!  I served it with yams I cooked in the microwave and topped with butter brown sugar, and cinnamon. I also sauteed some frozen green beans with a little bacon and chopped onion in olive oil. 

Do you have any "pantry" meals that you can throw together quickly?


Photobucket

5 comments:

Annette said...

Chinese Chicken Salad--cook a few boneless skinless chicken breasts in a fry pan, you can even throw them in there frozen, they're actually more moist that way. While the chicken's cooking tear up a head of lettuce, get out chowmein noodles or fried wonton strips, slivered or sliced almonds, a can of drained mandarin oranges and a bottle of TJ's sesame ginger dressing or some other Chinese dressing. Slice the chicken thinly and serve with all the goodies. Usually ready in 15 minutes or less. Also works well with sliced leftover steak.

Annette said...

This one's good to throw into a pot when you walk through the door and it's ready whenever you are.
Serves 8
Chicken Chili:
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/2"-1" pieces. (Can use a few cans of chicken and make it faster.)
1-28oz can rotelle tomatoes,
1-28oz can diced tomatoes, undrained. Simmer chicken in tomatoes until chicken is done, about 15 minutes. Stir in
2-28oz cans drained, rinsed pinto beans. Heat through.
Can sit simmering for 15 minutes to 2 hours. Thicken with 4T. flour stirred into 1/2 c. water. Serve with sour cream.
Easy sides; salad or jiffy cornbread.

Tonda said...

I have one inspired from San Diego Zoo: Alfredo garlic pasta sauce (any brand) mixed with pureed sun dried tomatoes poured over pasta (any noodles) and some shrimp...its yummy and I always have the astuff for it

Charlee said...

Shepards pie with boxed mashed potatoes or frozen, frozen veggies and ground turkey.

Chicken and pasta any chicken any pasta any italian sauce.

And when I make meatballs I make a double batch and freeze half so biol noodles and open sauce and bam its done.

Colleen said...

Pantry meals are a god-send to any busy lady. We have similar dishes to you... especially the fish. We use a lot of jalapeno butter (jalapenos, cilantro, garlic, butter). We also do a lot of pot roast, grilled pizzas, and pulled pork tacos.