Saturday, November 19, 2011

A Perfect Fit

 I try not to complain too much about Ethan, or really go into specifics about my difficulties with him, because I don't want him to look back through my blog books one day and focus on those kinds of posts.  With that being said, he is a challenge :)  I used to beat myself up over how hard I thought he was, and thought I just must not have been a good mom... and then I had Alayna and realized how truly different children can be, even with the same parenting.  I realized that I am doing my best, and that is all I can do.  God made him who he is and instead of constantly trying to fight it (which I still find myself doing at times), and wish he were different, I just need to love him and work with him and appreciate him for who he is.

I was having a particularly hard day with Ethan the other week and then one of the blogs I read (thank you Salt and Nectar) posted this quote, and boy did it ever resonate with me... in a big way.  It's been running through my head constantly.  Just thought I'd share it.  I'm thinking I need to print it and put it in my purse :)

“Motherhood is about raising and celebrating the child you have, not the child you thought you would have. It's about understanding that he is exactly the person he is supposed to be. And that, if you're lucky, he just might be the teacher who turns you into the person you are supposed to be.” - Joan Ryan





God gave us the children we have because He thought we were the perfect fit for them.  Parenthood is most certainly the most challenging thing I have ever done in my life.  I must surrender my heart and my selfish desires to God on a daily basis and pray that I can model His love to my children.

4 comments:

Annette said...

You and Matt are the exact parents God created for Ethan and Alayna, and Ethan and Alayna are part of God's sanctifying plan in your lives. Isn't He amazing?!
I often remind our children that God planned everything perfectly and chose them for me and me for them. My job is to obey Him, and their job is to obey Him too!
Love the quote!!

Janette said...

Your comment at the end, "God gave us the children we have because He thought we were the perfect fit for them," totally resonates with me. In the first few months, I thought I had gotten a bum deal...a hard pregnancy, hard delivery, and a colicky baby. But then someone reminded me of exactly what you said. And I can't say when it happened, but my attitude changed and coping with a touchy baby became a work of compassion. You have the same priviledge - to show compassion and grace to your children. God knew just the mom whom your children would need on this earth, so he chose you. That is such a cool thought :) Thank you for sharing your heart Jess.

Kelly said...

Sometimes I also like to think what a compliment it is that God chose me to be Cam's (and in your case, Ethan) mom. I often think what his little life would be like in a un-loving home where he was yelled at, treated poorly, etc. So while sometimes it's really difficult, God knew that we would have the patience for them, you know? Kind of flattering. :)

Christy said...

One day I was really struggling with Ryanne and Dan said,"Man you guys are so much alike. No wonder you butt heads." At first I was like noooo.....and then it hit me. Yes Lord I am strong willed and often try to buck the system and make my own way. You are constantly correcting me and trying to help me grow and I fight to make it go my way. Thank you God for being the parent I need and for not giving up. I guess when you see yourself through Christs eyes you see how much we are like our little mess makers. Ha! But all that to say you are a GREAT mom and Ethan will be all he's supposed to be because of your and Matts love and guidance in the Lord.